2022 Board of Directors
Commissioner – John Daly
Vice Commissioner – Joe Garr
Public Relations/Communications – Sarah Magruder Lyle
Registrar – Melissa Dwyer
Operations – Jim McGuiness
Player Development – Chad Artz
Sponsorship – John Gorman
Fort Hunt Softball Bylaws
Effective December 2012
I NAME AND PURPOSE
Fort Hunt Youth Athletic Association Softball (FHYAA Softball). Our purpose is to provide a fast pitch softball program for girls ages 6-18. This program is organized under the umbrella of FHYAA which has been serving the Fort Hunt Community since 1959. The mission of Fort Hunt Softball is to provide a quality youth softball program for the Fort Hunt and surrounding communities. Fort Hunt Softball is intended to provide girls with the opportunity to experience softball in an atmosphere that encourages and promotes teamwork, good sportsmanship and friendships in a positive, safe and supportive environment. Fort Hunt softball expects coaches, players and spectators to exhibit courtesy and proper decorum at all times.
II BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- The Association shall be managed by seven Directors and collectively they shall be known as the Board of Directors (“the Board”). The Board consists of the Commissioner; the Vice Commissioner; the Player Development Director; the Operations Director; Registrar, Public Relations Director, and Fundraising Director. A simple majority shall constitute a quorum. The Board shall transact all Association business acting in good faith and in the best interests of the Association.
- Election: The election of Board Members will be conducted by the end of each year at the annual softball community meeting. Notice of the community meeting to include an agenda listing open board positions shall be sent to the softball community at large at least 14 days prior to the meeting. Nominations for open positions should be sent via email to the commissioner at a minimum of 7 days prior to the annual softball community meeting. No Director shall be eligible to serve in the same office for more than three consecutive years, or hold more than one elected or appointed office at the same time. The nominated Commissioner must have served on the board for at least one year prior to being nominated for Commissioner.
- Removal and Resignation: Any Board member may be removed with cause by a two-thirds vote of the remaining members of the Board or by a majority vote of the membership. Any Board member may resign at any time by giving written notice to the Board, or the Commissioner of the Association. Any such resignation shall take effect at the date of receipt of such notice or at any later date specified therein, and, unless otherwise specified therein, the acceptance of such resignation shall not be necessary to make it effective. The resigning/removed Director shall turn over all records related to his/her position to the Board or its appointee within ten days of removal/resignation.
- Vacancies: The Commissioner shall appoint a member to fill any elected Board position other than Commissioner, which becomes vacant prior to or after the annual elections. In the case of a vacancy in the position of Commissioner, the Board shall designate a member to serve as interim Commissioner pending the election of a new Commissioner. Upon notification of a vacancy in the position of Commissioner, the Board shall call for a meeting of the softball membership, solicit qualified candidates from the softball membership, and call for a vote.
- Powers: The Board shall have the power to make decisions for the softball membership and its activities shall be recorded in the softball meeting minutes. Any FHYAA registered softball member may attend a Board meeting.
(1) The Board shall prepare an annual budget for the approval of the softball membership.
(2) The Board shall prescribe regulations governing registration, payment of registration and volunteer fees, health measures, parent participation, house rules and other matters.
(3) The Board shall have the power to cancel or reschedule games due to school activities or other outside events.
(4) No Board member may vote upon a matter coming before that body in which he or she has a direct financial or personal interest. Immediately upon becoming aware that such a conflict may exist, a Board member must disclose the existence of the potential conflict to the remaining members, withdraw from further deliberation on the issue, and refrain from voting on the matter. Any such disclosure and withdrawal shall be fully documented in the Board meeting minutes.
(5) The Board of Directors will be non-salaried.
(6) In all matters where a vote of the Board is required and that vote results in a tie (3-3), the commissioner shall cast the deciding vote.
F. Responsibilities of Board of Directors:
(1) Commissioner – shall oversee all aspects of the softball program and will oversee the Commissioner’s Committee. (The Commissioner may not head coach an FHYAA Softball team while serving as Softball Commissioner.)
(2) Vice Commissioner – shall be responsible for all administrative functions.
(3) Player Development Director – shall be responsible for all player related activities and other softball day to day operations.
(4) Operations Director – shall oversee all equipment related duties and field maintenance/supplies during the season.
(5) Registrar – shall be responsible for spring/fall registration and uniforms.
(6) Public Relations Director – shall be responsible for softball website, communications to softball community, media liaison and special events coordinator.
(7) Fundraising Director - shall be responsible for all fundraising activities and league/team sponsorships.
G. Meetings: Board meetings follow seasonal needs. Dates and times will be provided to the community at least five days in advance. Any FHYAA registered softball member may attend the Board meeting.
H. Standing Committees: The Board shall prescribe the duties and supervise the activities of all committees.
1. Commissioner’s Committee:
- Overall League Management
- League Draft - Spring (allocation of players, coaches and asst. coaches)
- League Liaison (FHYAA Board, Fairfax County, Mt Vernon Youth, Fort Belvoir Youth, Alexandria Potomac Youth, West Potomac HS)
- Identifying League Managers for 18U, 12U and 9U
- Coach skill development
- Parent, player or community concerns/complaints
- Treasurer - responsible for preparing a budget to be approved by the FHYAA Board for the coming year, maintain an accurate account for all receipts and expenditures, and will work with the Softball Board and FHYAA Treasurer. Must also prepare quarterly financial reports, or when called upon by the Commissioner or Board.
2. Vice-Commissioner Committee:
- Secretary - takes minutes at meetings, prepare synopsis for website after all Board meetings and the annual community meeting, and shall tabulate votes cast for all issues.
- Member Survey administration, to include the creation, maintenance and analysis of overall player/parent satisfaction and ‘operation-specific’ surveys
- Practice and Game Schedules
- Ensure compliance with FHYAA Board policies and procedures (PII, Insurance, Background Checks)
- Apply for Field Permits
3. Player Development Director:
- Player clinics
- Skills Assessment (Spring)
- All-Star Player and Coach Selection Process
- Supplemental Rules
- Trophies / Special Awards
4. Operations Director:
- Umpire Scheduling
- Purchasing all softball equipment & training aids
- Distributing and maintaining equipment throughout each season
- Purchasing and delivering all field related items (lime, turface, field tools, etc.)
- Monitoring fields for game/practice cancellations
- Spring and Fall registration
- Setting out and collecting Registration Signs (including FHYAA Banners)
- Distributing registration fliers to schools and community
- Uniforms (Regular Season and All-Stars)
6. Public Relations Director:
- Communications to community (i.e. email blasts, off-season workouts, clinics)
- Media Liaison (Ft Hunt Patch, Alexandria Gazette, Social Media)
- Special Events Coordinator (opening day, league sponsored parties)
7. Fundraising Director:
- FHYAA Spirit Wear (mylocker.net)
- Photo Day
- Fund Raising Activities (car washes, restaurant nights, etc.)
- Team and League Sponsorships
- Banner Sponsor Program
III MEETINGS AND VOTING
A. The first meeting of each season will be determined by the Board at the final meeting of the prior season.
B. The business of the organization shall be conducted at the meetings called by the Commissioner.
C. Special meetings may be held at any time upon call of the Commissioner.
- Each FHYAA registered member of the softball community has equal rights of membership. Each member family shall have one vote for every player registered with a maximum of 2 votes per family. Members may vote by proxy if they are unable to attend a meeting. Proxy votes must be written, signed and presented to the Secretary before the meeting.
- Each Board of Director will have one vote at each meeting of which they are present or vote by proxy as stated above.
- Two-thirds of the Board of Directors of FHYAA Softball shall constitute a quorum except at special meetings where the majority shall constitute a quorum.
- Ten people shall constitute a quorum at the general membership meeting. A simple majority vote carries a motion, other than amendments to the bylaws, or where specifically directed in the Bylaws.
- The fiscal year will run from Jan 1 through December 31st.
- Registration Fees - A registration fee must be received before a player can attend a practice. A late fee will be assessed after registration ends. Refund requests need to be approved by the Commissioner.
- Scholarships – Financial Assistance will be provided if funds are available to anyone who can demonstrate financial need. Assistance is provided via Fairfax County’s Youth Sports Scholarship Program. Applicants must complete the appropriate paperwork (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/ncs/forms/ysspformr.pdf) and provide proof of eligibility.
- Budget – a budget of proposed income and expenditures shall be presented at the annual softball community meeting for review and approval by the softball membership. The budget will be based on the previous year’s expenses and estimated registration for the coming year with a reasonable reserve for contingencies.
V. BYLAW AMENDMENTS
A. An amendment to these Bylaws may be proposed by the Board or by any five members. Notice of the proposal shall be given to the Commissioner in writing prior to the general membership meeting at which it is to be considered. It shall be approved by two-thirds of the members present.